EU Citizens
August 22, 2014, 12:45:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Subject Statistics
Topic: The Eurofighter Typhoon beat the F22 in real tests! Replies: 118 posts
Read 150742 times 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Eurofighter Typhoon beat the F22 in real tests!  (Read 150742 times)
EU citizen

« on: August 16, 2007, 05:37:41 PM »

All who have seen the Eurofighter Typhoon fly will know its a highly agile aircraft. It has the ability to change its enegy state (both increasing and decreasing it) very quickly, and when you combine this with high turn rates and small turn radii you have an excellent fighter machine, as said by several RAF pilots.

Although this a relative immature platform, the Typhoon have already proved to be a hard opponent to beat, so when a two seater Typhoon trainer was bounced by two F-15s during operational conversion sortie, the Typhoon pilot was easily able to outmonouvre his assailants and position himself for a simulated "killl" againtst both, an incident reported by very few medias, the scotsman among other:  scotsman.com/uk

Eurofighter a shooting star in clash with US jets

IT might be over budget and years late but the Eurofighter Typhoon has shown that it can shake off America's best fighter plane and shoot it down.

A chance encounter over the Lake District between a Eurofighter trainer and two F-15 aircraft turned into a mock dogfight, with the British plane coming off best - much to the surprise of some in the RAF. The episode was hushed up for fear of causing US blushes. For a project 10 years late and $8bn over budget, it is a welcome piece of good news.

The 'clash' took place last year over Windermere when the two-seater RAF Eurofighter was 'bounced' from behind by the two F-15E fighters. The US pilots intended to pursue the supposedly hapless 'Limey' for several miles and lock their radars on to it for long enough so that if it had been a real dogfight the British jet would have been shot down. But much to the Americans' surprise, the Eurofighter shook them off, outmanoeuvred them and moved into shooting positions on their tails. The British pilots themselves were almost as surprised at winning an encounter with an aircraft widely regarded as the best fighter in the world

But now the latest news is this: The eurofighter have beaten what is considered the new top US fighter, the F22!

The story is reported by
"internatinal AIR POWER REVIEW" - year 2006, issue 20, page 45. - ISNB: 1-880588-91-9 (casebound) or ISBN: 1473-9917.

"more recently, there have been repeated reports that two RAF Typhoons deployed to the USA for OEU trails work have been flying against the F-22 at NAS China Lake, and have peformed better than was expected. There was little suprise that Typhoon, with its world-class agility and high off-boresight missile capability was able to dominate "Within Visual Range" flight, but the aircraft did cause a suprise by getting a radar lock on the F22 at a suprisingly long range. The F-22s cried off, claiming that they were "unstealthed" anyway, although the next day´s scheduled two vs. two BWR engagement was canceled, and "the USAF decided they didn´t want to play any more .

- When this incident was reported on a website frequented by front-line RAF aircrew a senior RAF officer urged an end to the converstaion on security grounds"

Too bad you have to search so hard for this kind of information.........Eurofighter Typhoon - second to none

EU, the world's largest economy Smiley
EU citizen

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 06:44:05 PM »

It is also reported by BBC, though not with same detail:

Source:
"Q&A: What makes the Eurofighter fly?" - 18 August 2006 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1818077.stm

Here is some info taken from the article:

So is the Eurofighter any good?

Critics have suggested that the Eurofighter is only useful for air-to-air combat, and not for supporting troops on the ground. And they have complained that it was not designed to evade radar, like the latest generation of US stealth fighters. In fact the Eurofighter was designed from outset to be a fighter-bomber that could switch from dog-fighting in the air to attacking targets on the ground all during the same mission.

Some observers have claimed that many criticisms of the fighter plane have come from US aerospace companies alarmed at the prospect of losing customers to the Eurofighter. Also, designing a fighter to be stealthy can sometimes mean tradeoffs when it comes to manoeuvring performance.

So what will be the Eurofighter's main competition?

The Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), which the US is developing in co-operation with the UK, is due to enter service after 2012. But this project has hit serious technical problems and is under threat in the US Congress.

The US Air Force has already begun to take delivery of another superjet, the F-22 Raptor. This is very stealthy but costs twice the price of the Eurofighter, and
reports suggest that RAF's Eurofighters have flown highly successful missions against the F-22 during recent exercises in the US.

It also is competing with the French-made Rafale, which is very similar to the Eurofighter and may be on the UK's Royal Navy shopping list.

EU citizen

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 10:59:28 AM »

Watch this movie about the F22:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIvgBbXKL5E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIvgBbXKL5E</a>

Lots of good facts American patriots often forget or dont know.........looks more like a flying Enron than anything else

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 04:20:27 AM »

My son's with BAE over in the states, so I follow these things a little closer than most, and I must say that most of these claims are completely based on rumor and speculation. The Typhoon is certainly a great plane (been a long time coming, though) and a source of pride for the UK, but the Raptor is also quite spectacular, based on things I've read, what bits I've watched, and what my son shares with me from time to time. He's not allowed to reveal many things, but what he can absolutely boggles my mind. Its capabilities, both offensively and defensively, are startling, and seem to be, at least on paper, the equal of the Typhoon. And I've got odds that none of it will matter, as we are going to be allied with the USA for a long while.
EU citizen

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 05:17:26 AM »

If you have 5 minutes with nothing better to do watch this one:

F-22 Fighter Performance

How does the F-22A compare a quarter century later?

By James P. Stevenson

http://www.cdi.org/pdfs/Stevenson%20F-22%20Brief.pdf

Youtube
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 05:22:15 AM »

My son's with BAE over in the states, so I follow these things a little closer than most, and I must say that most of these claims are completely based on rumor and speculation. The Typhoon is certainly a great plane (been a long time coming, though) and a source of pride for the UK, but the Raptor is also quite spectacular, based on things I've read, what bits I've watched, and what my son shares with me from time to time. He's not allowed to reveal many things, but what he can absolutely boggles my mind. Its capabilities, both offensively and defensively, are startling, and seem to be, at least on paper, the equal of the Typhoon. And I've got odds that none of it will matter, as we are going to be allied with the USA for a long while.

- You say your son work for BAE Systems, but (from what you say) it sounds like he work on the F-22, what does BAE have to do with the f-22?

I know BAE help with the JSF (f-35), but f-22?   Huh
commision
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 07:49:53 AM »

Nice video, but i dont think the average American know the role of the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), though your explanation in "more" might help  Smiley

"the investigative arm of Congress" / "the congressional watchdog"
bobsyouruncle

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 04:41:10 PM »

He's worked on both systems as an electrical engineer, but is currently tasked to the JSF/F-35.
Youtube
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 05:03:22 PM »

ok - but im still not sure what BAE had to do with the F-22 program......
bobsyouruncle

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 10:05:56 PM »

I'm not entirely certain, and I don't pry, but I believe they have something to do with the plane's electronic warfare self-defences.
EU citizen

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 10:23:36 PM »

Pierre Sprey, the man who designed the F-16 and A-10 fighters say this August 31, 2007:

"The F-16A, as it was in 1986, can whip today's F-22," said Sprey. "You'd think the F-22 would be able to whip some antique."

Sprey said the Raptor is too heavy, reliant on sensors and other technology, slow, and too reliant on stealth to be useful in today's combat environment over rough terrain against a relatively unsophisticated, guerilla enemy.

http://www.cnsnews.com/welcome.asp

EU citizen

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 10:44:37 PM »

Pierre M. Sprey did this presentation before the one by James Stevenson given above:

"Comparing a Quarter Century of Fighters" by Pierre M. Sprey

http://www.cdi.org/pdfs/Sprey%20Quarter%20Century.pdf

(to safe you from scrolling up, here is Stevenson again)

How does the F-22A compare a quarter century later? by James P. Stevenson

http://www.cdi.org/pdfs/Stevenson%20F-22%20Brief.pdf

Youtube
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 06:48:42 AM »

"bobsyouruncle" is an American Cool

Priceless to listen to the made up story though  Grin
bobsyouruncle

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 08:17:40 AM »

Not an American, Youtube, but I've considered the move, so I'd be nearer my boy. Why would you make that claim?
EU citizen

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 05:20:52 PM »

More info on the Typhoon at China lake - where the Typhoon beat the F-22:

Source:  http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=147877 - Friday 10 June 2005

The Weapon System was evaluated thoroughly with seven 2v2 (i.e. two Eurofighter Typhoons against two 'enemies') Sensor Fusion flights, one 2v4 (against four enemies) Sensor Fusion flight and five dedicated DASS flights designed to fully test the avionics. The overall performance was encouraging considering the fairly aggressive operational testing conducted during the Mission Assessment, with the feedback from the operational pilots confirming their favourable impressions of the product.

In early 2005, Eurofighter Typhoon made its first transatlantic deployment. Under the 'Exercise High Rider' nickname, the Air Warfare Centre (AWC) conducts routine trials work on the United States western ranges, taking advantage of significant overland airspace, good weather and instrumented range infrastructure to maximise operational test and evaluation output from these facilities.

Exercise High Rider 10 took place at the United States Naval Air Weapons Range China Lake in California. Taking part in the deployment were the Harrier GR7 and Tornado GR4 aircraft of the AWC's Fast Jet and Weapons Operational Evaluation Unit (FJWOEU) based at RAF Coningsby and a Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft from the Typhoon combined test team.

The aircraft was deployed from BAE Systems Warton, crewed by a BAE Systems test pilot and a Typhoon Operational Evaluation Unit 17(R) Squadron pilot. BT005, a twin-seat series production aircraft, made the transatlantic crossing with the help of RAF VC10 and Tristar refuelling assets, before conducting an unaccompanied transit across the USA from Bangor Maine to China Lake, stopping to refuel at Little Rock Arkansas and Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico. The Eurofighter Typhoon began flying again immediately after its arrival undertaking trials work to evaluate the aircraft's weapon system in an operational environment.

Exercise High Rider 10 recovered to the UK at the end of the deployment.

And pictures from High rider 10, Notice BT005 is the plane sent there, this planes "BT005" has the the Serial # ZJ804, and this plane is spotted at NAWS China Lake, CA:

Date: 2/24/2005
Subject: T.1 - 17(R) SQ, UK Air Force - Serial #ZJ804

Notes: The Typhoon OEU, 17(R) SQ is seen flying ZJ804 during a test deployment to the NAWS.

Notes: ZJ804 takes off from China Lake

Notes: Side view of ZJ804

source

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: